Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Week #3 Things # 6 and #7

#6 Alright, the Flickr mashups are really fun. My mind is spinning trying to think how I can incorporate them into our curriculum. I wish I had taken the summer 2.0 and knew about the trading cards before school started. I spent plenty of time creating my own template when I could have had the kids take care of it all in the lab using the Big Huge Labs mashups. 
I can imagine a magazine cover or movie poster highlighting new and noteworthy books in our library. The ideas are endless. I think that is what I loved most about getting my LMT credential - being around creative people who use available resources to make learning fun and meaningful. 

#7 Besides using web 2.0 resources effectively in the classroom, I'm interested in trying out different instant response systems, document cameras/projectors (like the Elmo), whiteboard technology etc. Basically, I want all the bells and whistles that our district doesn't support to the fullest but I realize that can make a difference in the delivery of curriculum. Students need to be engaged and teachers must find new and better ways keep them interested. 
I have started to learn and try a little bit of podcasting. Having students do this at an elementary level only has time as a limiting factor. Check out one of the podcasts I created out our Outdoor Science School last spring. 




3 comments:

Becca said...

Well, Wayward Son, you certainly have a way with words and application of new tools. I LOVE the podcast! Especially since I am helping coordinate a districtwide collaboration with our elementary science department and the library department to incorporate more 2.0 tools. We have only set up our blogs so far, and with the imminent crunch of winter break I don't think we'll get much farther but will surge forth in January. And yes, we are incorporating document cameras/visual presenters as part of that development. Here's the link http://sciliberkeley.blogspot.com but as you will see, there is not much there yet.

Cocoa Cowboy said...

Hey! Be careful what you wish for. If you get a document camera you might provide better access to the instructional material you present in class. The students will learn more and the district will understand that a little bit of money spent at the teacher's discretion actually makes a difference. This just won't work! Love the podcast. Great advertising.

Comet librarian 2 said...

It looks like you are using those creative talents to the benefit of your students. I enjoyed your podcast.